The Open Land Trust is South Carolina’s first and oldest land trust working to preserve open spaces, natural habitats and rural communities throughout the Southern Lowcountry.
1970 - First Property Acquired
First parcel on bay street acquired by bank loan by Marguerite Waterhouse Henderson Broz, Betty Logan Waskiewicz and John Trask, jr.
April 29th 1971 - Chartered as First Land Trust in the State
Secretary of State of South Carolina granted the charter recognizing the Beaufort County Open Land Trust the first land trust in the state.
1980 - Sea Island Seasons Cookbook First Published
Over 75,000 copies have been printed.
1989 - Bellamy Curve
Bellamy Curve property purchased as the next scenic vista project. Houses are removed at a later date to open view of the Beaufort River.
1991 - Adds Executive Director
OLT hires Cindy Baysden as its first executive director.
1995 - First Conservation Easement
OLT received its first conservation easement on Parkers Ferry Plantation.
1998 - Bay Street Bluff View
Homes removed from Bay Street bluff to open up view
1998 - Purchased St. Helena Market
OLT purchased St. Helena Market preventing it from becoming a gas station.
1999-2007 - Lemon Island
Through conservation partnerships over 400 acres on Lemon Island corridor are preserved.
2002 - Oyster Factory Park Protected
OLT protected Oyster Factory Park for public use.
2009 OLT Offices Move to 1001 Bay Street
2010 - OLT Is Hired as the Contractor for the Rural and Critical Lands Preservation Program
2010 - The Green is Preserved
The Trust was honored to partner with best-selling author and local resident, Pat Conroy to help preserve the land that inspired so many of his great works. Thanks to his support, the generosity of many in the community and the Rural and Critical Lands Preservation Program the Green will be enjoyed as open space for generations to come.
2016 - Receives Accreditation
The Land Trust Accreditation Commission awards OLT with first time accreditation.